Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Online Safety and Teens

Well today I've learned a lot of things in this class. We were told to read about online safety and teens and I found an excellent site. I learned a lot of things that I didn't know and I'll give you some examples. Since Internet has been available 58% percent of teens are more likely to turn down a beer at a party opposing 46% in 1989. I thought that percentage would be a lot higher than just 58% because I hear all about how people were peer pressured into drinking. Another scenario was that teens thought that smoking was ok, 18% of the teens said it wasn't ok compared to 27% recorded a few years ago. Another big topic that I saw was Cyperbulling, which is huge these days. It wasn't an issue until 1989 but the good news is that 84% of youth said that they wouldn't pass on any embarrassing emails, texts, pictures or anything. But that's what they say they would do. If you put them into that particular situation I think that percentage would go down tremendously. I have been in this situation and I didn't do it but that doesn't mean the other 84% wouldn't either. Internet is huge in our society now and we have to learn how to respect others and even though these percentiles are a lot better than I thought they were but we could still improve them.

1 comment:

  1. There is always room for improvement. I'm glad to hear that when you were in the situation you DID NOT pass on the information/picture. That shows maturity and social responsibility. Good job!

    ReplyDelete